Today we are preparing Creamy Black Bean Taquito Meal Prep. I had some leftover tortillas, and decided to pair the creamy black bean taquitos (recipe ingredients included below), cilantro lime rice and some salsa for dipping. I love tortillas, because they are so delicious and healthy!
- 4 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 15 oz can black beans
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 2 green onions
- 2-3 dashes hot sauce (optional)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 15 6 inch corn tortillas
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil, divided, for frying
- Rinse and drain the black beans. Drain the diced green chiles. Slice the green onions. Add the cream cheese, black beans, green chiles, green onion, hot sauce, garlic powder, and salt to a bowl. Stir together until evenly combined, then taste and adjust the salt or hot sauce to your liking.
- Stack 5 tortillas on a plate, cover with a damp paper towel, and microwave for about 20 seconds to soften (this helps prevent them from cracking when rolled). Heat a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Working quickly as the skillet heats, place about 2 Tbsp of the black bean filling in each tortilla then roll tightly closed.
- Once all five are filled, add about 1 Tbsp cooking oil to the skillet, give it a few seconds to heat (it should shimmer), then add the filled taquitos seam side down. Cook the taquitos on each side until brown and crispy, then transfer to a clean plate.
- Repeat the process in small batches of five, adding a little more oil to the skillet each time, until all the filling has been used (about 15 taquitos). Serve while still hot.
- The original recipe for the Cilantro Lime Rice makes six cups, but I didn’t want to have leftovers, so I cut the batch down to make about 4 cups. To do that I used 1.5 cups rice and 2.25 cups broth. I reduced the lime juice and cilantro accordingly as well (estimated).
If you liked this recipe, you should also try our: