You can serve this delicious, spicy and creamy fondue in a traditional fondue pot, assorted with various types of cheese, olives, bread, crackers and some fruit (grapes or figs maybe!). Kids love it as a bread spread!
FOR THE FONDUE:
- 1/3 pound firm alpine-style cheese — such as gruyere
- third pound fontina
- 1/3 pound gouda
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup dry white wine — such as Sauvignon Blanc
- one clove garlic — minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- one tablespoon brandy
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
ASSORTED FONDUE DIPPERS:
- Boiled baby new potatoes in their skins — quartered if large
- Lightly steamed broccoli florets
- or lightly steamed cauliflower florets
- maybe lightly steamed asparagus
- Button mushrooms — wiped clean and stems removed
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sliced firm apples — such as Granny Smith
- Cooked sliced hot sausage
- Cubed French, sourdough, and/or pumpernickel bread
Grate all of the cheeses. In a medium bowl, combine the cheeses with the cornstarch, tossing thoroughly to coat all pieces.
In a stove-safe fondue pot or large heavy saucepan, bring the wine, garlic, and lemon juice to a simmer over medium-low heat. Add the cheeses to the simmering liquid a little at a time, stirring well between each addition to ensure a smooth fondue. Once smooth, stir in the brandy, mustard, and nutmeg.
Arrange an assortment of bite-size dipping foods on a platter. If necessary, carefully pour the fondue into a fondue pot. Serve with fondue forks or wooden skewers. Dip and enjoy!If you are into this recipe, you could also try our Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes!