- 6 oz. chocolate (semi-sweet, 60 – 70% cocoa)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg yolk
- Garnish: whipped cream
- Chop the chocolate into small bits. Place it in a heavy saucepan with the milk.
- Heat the milk and chocolate, stirring frequently until small bubbles come to the surface, but do not boil. Stir as needed to keep the milk from burning and the chocolate from sinking to the bottom.
- Simmer for three minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk to create foam. At this point, taste the milk and add sugar if it is not sweet enough for you.
- When the milk looks very smooth, remove from the heat and cool a little bit.
- Stir together the egg yolk and 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate. Whisk this mixture back into the pan with the hot milk and chocolate mixture. Return to heat, stirring constantly and whisk to create foam. Do not let this boil or the yolk will curdle.
- Divide between two or more cups and garnish with whipped cream.
If you liked this recipe, try out: