These homemade tater tots are waaay healthier than those you can buy frozen and deep fried. They are baked and are low in fat. For this recipe, besides flour of your choice, you will need garlic powder (seasoning is the key), cooked bacon, cheese (I love cheddar in tater tots!) and chives and Greek yogurt (high in protein & low in fat).
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 6 strips bacon — cooked
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- one tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- one teaspoon garlic powder
- half teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese — about 2 ounces—OK to swap reduced fat, but do not use fat free
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives — or green onion
- Nonfat plain Greek yogurt — for serving (optional)
- If necessary, cook the bacon. Once cool, dice into small pieces.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees F. Scrub and peel the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with 1 inch of cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 6 minutes (the potatoes should be about halfway cooked). Drain and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Once cooled, grate the potatoes into a large bowl. Add the olive oil, flour, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Gently combine by hand so that the ingredients are as evenly distributed as possible. Add the bacon, cheese, and chives, then combine again.
- Generously coat two 24-cup mini muffin tins with nonstick spray, or make the tots in two batches. With a small cookie scoop or spoon, scoop about one heaping tablespoon of the potato mixture into each muffin cavity, then with your fingers, press each scoop flat. Bake until the potatoes are brown at the edges, about 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and coat the tops with cooking spray. With a small offset spatula or table knife, flip each tot. Coat tops with nonstick spray once more, then return the pan to the oven and bake until browned, 12 to 15 additional minutes until golden brown. Let cool in the pan for 2 minutes, then serve with sour cream.
Loved this recipe? Try our