You already know that no Derby is complete without Juleps, soo we called the all-star squad of bartenders from each region of the United States — Northeast, South, West Coast, & Midwest — to bring their shares on this minty classic. Don’t be upset anyone but the most well-known place for this is, well, Kentucky so we partnered with the state’s own Woodford Reserve to present the bourbon. Drink in (responsibly) the recipes and enjoy the derby.
HILL COUNTY JULEP
- 1½oz Woodford Reserve
- half oz apple brandy
- 1/2oz simple syrup
- rhubarb bitters
- 1 mint swizzle
- mint and powdered sugar as garnish
- Take a handful of mint leaves and muddle them at the bottom of a tin to bruise them.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and add pebble or shaved ice.
- Swizzle to mix the ingredients then top off with ice and garnish.
THE ORCHARD JULEP
- 1/2lb fresh ginger, washed and peeled, cut into chunks
- one cup boiling water
- 1/2lb sugar
- 2oz Woodford Reserve bourbon
- 1oz fresh apple juice
- half oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/2oz ginger syrup
- 8-10 mint leaves
- To make the ginger syrup, put the ginger in a blender and add the boiling water and sugar.
- Blend thoroughly, and then strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Your syrup won’t be perfectly clear; that’s okay.
- Bottle, label, and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- To make the cocktail, in a mason jar or julep cup, put the mint leaves and the ginger syrup. Muddle gently.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. And add crushed ice and swizzle it.
- Add more crushed ice. Garnish with a lemon wheel and a big mint sprig. Put a straw in the cup too.
- 6 oz simple syrup
- 1/2 oz ground celery
- 15 mint leaves
- 2 oz Woodford Reserve
- 1/4 oz mint celery salt syrup
- fourth oz Letherbee Besk
- 1/4 oz Carpano Bianco
- To make the celery salt syrup, in a blender combine the simple syrup (1:1 sugar to water) with the ground celery, 15 mint leaves, and a dash of salt.
- Blend and strain through a fine strainer and cheesecloth.
- To make the cocktail, combine all ingredients in preferred rocks glass/julep cup.
- Add crushed ice and garnish with fresh mint sprig and sprinkled celery salt.
To enjoy another fabolous drink check out our Nutritious Easy-To-Make Kale Smoothie-