Strawberry crisp – the perfect spring recipe. For this Strawberry Crisp I sometimes use cherries too, in order to make it a bit more sour and refreshing. For this recipe you will need strawberries, honey (healthy version of plain sugar), lemon juice, cornstarch and vanilla extract. You will need 1 hour to prepare this dessert for 8 people.
FOR THE STRAWBERRY CRISP TOPPING:
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter — cut into large pieces
- 1/4cup coconut oil
- 2/3cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3cup white whole wheat flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 3tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3tablespoons coconut sugar or light brown sugar
- Zest of one medium lemon— juice the lemon for the strawberry filling
FOR THE STRAWBERRY CRISP FILLING:
- 2pounds fresh strawberries
- 3tablespoons cornstarch — plus 1 to 2 additional teaspoons if your berries are very juicy
- 1/3cup honey or maple syrup
- Juice of one medium lemon— you can juice the lemon you zested for the topping!
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- Vanilla or plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare the topping: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, place the butter and coconut oil. Heat the butter in microwave for 30 seconds, then continue heating in 15-second bursts, just until the butter and coconut oil melt. Add the oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, granulated sugar, coconut sugar, and lemon zest. Stir until clumps form (some will be small and some will be large). Place in the refrigerator while you prepare the filling.
- Hull and quarter the strawberries (you will have about 6 cups total), then place them in a large mixing bowl. Add the cornstarch, honey, lemon juice, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Transfer to a 9×9-inch baking dish, including any juices that collect in the bottom of the bowl.
- Remove the topping from refrigerator and scatter it evenly over the strawberries. Bake until the topping is golden brown in places and the fruit is hot and bubbling, about 40 to 50 minutes. Check the topping at the 20-minute mark. If it is browning more quickly than you would like, loosely tent the pan with foil, then continue baking as directed. Remove from the oven and let cool a few minutes. Enjoy warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If you are into healthy recipes, try our: