This amazingly soothing hot drink is abundant with vitamin C and it can offer you such a relief when you experience a sudden fall of energy levels, which is so characteristic of winter, or when you are having a cold. You can use sweetener or regular sugar, but I especially love it with some added honey.
Makes 2 cups
- 1 cup fresh or dried sorrel
- 2½ cups water plus 2 more cups boiling water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 star anise
- ½ inch fresh ginger sliced
- 2 slices of orange, lime or lemon plus the peel and extra for garnish
- 2-3 tbsp of honey according to taste
- 3 ounces of brandy, whisky or rum
- ¼ of a lemon, orange or lime juice freshly squeezed
- Remove the petals off the flower and rinse them well if using fresh only
- Place the fresh or dried sorrel In a medium sized saucepan along with the water, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, star anise and orange slices and peel and bring everything to a boil on medium
- Once boiling lower the heat to a simmer and allow to simmer stirring often for approx 5-10 minutes. The water will turn a nice deep red.
- In the meantime boil there remaining two cups of water in a kettle and you can use this to heat your mug up by filling it with the boiling or warm water (optional step but who doesn’t love a warm mug – will keep your drink warmer longer too and melt the honey or sweetener faster)
- Once the glass is warm dump out the water and coat the bottom of the cup with honey
- Add the liquor and squeeze the juice from a quarter lemon, lime or orange
- Strain and pour in the hibiscus/sorrel mixture to the mugs and stir well. Add more honey if you want it sweeter and enjoy
You should try our Lemon Poke Cake, it goes perfectly well with this hot toddy!