This recipe is gluten free, dairy free, Whole30 and Paleo if you serve it with cauliflower rice, instead of real rice! This juicy and tasty slow cooker chicken curry is cooked in a coconut milk sauce. You can serve it with rice, cauliflower rice, pasta or mashed potatoes. It will take around 5 hours to prepare. Suggestion: use chicken tights and not breasts, since slow cookers tend to dry out chicken breasts.
- 1 large sweet potato — scrubbed and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 red bell peppers — cored and thinly sliced
- one fourth cup water
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice — about 2 limes
- two tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- one teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- one and a half pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- one can light coconut milk — 14 ounces; (for a thicker, creamier sauce, use regular coconut milk)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch — mixed with 3 tablespoons water to create a slurry
- For serving: prepared brown rice or quinoa; chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the sweet potatoes and bell peppers in the bottom of a 5-quart or larger slow cooker. Pour the water and lime juice over the top.
- In a small bowl, combine the curry, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Place the chicken thighs on a large plate or cutting board, and sprinkle both sides with about 2/3 of the spice mix. Rub to coat, then set the remain spice mixture aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high. Once the oil is hot and shiny, add the chicken thighs and briefly pan sear on each side, just until brown— about 2 minutes for the first side and 1 minute for the second side. Place the seared chicken in the slow cooker, on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle with the remaining spice mixture. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or high for 2 to 3 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. It should register 165 degrees F on an instant read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the slow cooker and transfer to a cutting board. Once cool enough to handle, cut the chicken into bite-size pieces or shred it with two forks. Set aside.
- Pour the coconut milk and cornstarch slurry into the slow cooker, and stir to combine with the vegetables and cooking liquid. Turn the slow cooker heat to high, cover, and let cook 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine and coat the chicken in the sauce. Recover and cook 15 additional minutes, until the vegetables and chicken are hot and tender. Serve warm over rice or quinoa or with naan, topped with fresh cilantro.
Ready for a healthy snack? Try out our: