Who doesn’t love barbecued meat? But you don’t have to fire up the barbecue every time you’d like to experience the taste.
You can make it in a crock pot with a genuine barbecue sauce!
This healthy crock pot recipe is so easy to make, albeit being slow cooked, is extremely moist and delicious.
The chicken, being the main ingredient, needs to be skinless and boneless and can be used on top of baked potatoes, sandwiches and many more combinations.
- 1 1/2 cups Homemade BBQ Sauce — or your favorite store-bought sauce (the homemade sauce only takes about 15 minutes to make and is totally worth it!)
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch — mixed with 1 tablespoon water to make a slurry
- Serving suggestions: whole wheat or pretzel buns — whole wheat tortillas, cheddar cheese, chopped green onion, baked sweet potatoes
- If you have not, prepare the Homemade BBQ Sauce.
- Lightly coat a 5-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray. Arrange the chicken in a single layer on the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with sauce, spooning the sauce all over the top. If you made a batch of the Homemade BBQ Sauce, reserve the rest for serving.
- Cover the slow cooker, and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours on high or 4 to 5 hours on low, until the chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks, either on a cutting board or directly in the slow cooker.
- Thicken the sauce in the slow cooker: Add the slurry to the slow cooker with the remaining sauce. Whisk to combine, cover the slow cooker, and set to high. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes.
- To thicken the sauce more quickly: Transfer the sauce to a medium saucepan. Whisk in the slurry, and then cook on the stovetop over medium heat, stirring often until the sauce thickens, 5 to 10 minutes. (If your slow cooker insert is stovetop safe, you can remove it from the slow cooker and place it directly on the burner, but do not do this unless you are POSITIVE your insert is stovetop safe or it may crack).
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and toss to coat. Serve chicken warm on buns for sandwiches, inside quesadillas, or (our favorite) on top of a baked sweet potato with a sprinkle of green onion. Add additional BBQ sauce as desired.
If you genuinely like slow cooked recipe, check out our Slow-Cooked Red Wine Beef Stew recipe!