We love unconventional cakes, and since Fall is in full swing, we thought it would be adequate to create a flavorful dessert in the form of Pumpkin Sheet Cake with delicious Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting!
This is the perfect cake for this period, especially for Halloween, and it is an easy one-bowl recipe that requires only 30 minutes of cooking time!
To add to that this cake is soft, super moist and very easy to consume!
For Pumpkin Sheet Cake:
- 1/2 cup canola oil — or melted cooled coconut oil
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup brown sugar — light or dark
- 1/4 cup honey — plus 2 tablespoons
- 4 large eggs — at room temperature
- 1 cup pumpkin puree — NOT pumpkin pie filling
- one 1/8 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder — I recommend aluminum free
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice — or substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- just 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
For Greek Yogurt Cream Cheese Frosting
- 6 ounces 1/3 reduced-fat cream cheese — also called Neufchatel; do not use fat free
- 3 tablespoons non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter — softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper, then lightly coat with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or a large mixing bowl, beat together the oil, Greek yogurt, brown sugar, and honey until well blended and smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, incorporating between each. Beat in the pumpkin puree.
- Sprinkle the baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice over the top. Mix to combine. Then, sprinkle in the whole wheat flour and all purpose flour. By hand with a wooden spatula or spoon, stir the batter, just until the flour disappears.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, then with an offset spatula or spoon, smooth the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place the cake on a wire pan to cool completely.
- To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, butter, vanilla extract, and salt at medium speed for 2 minutes, until fluffy and well combined. Reduce the mixer speed to low and gradually add the powdered sugar, increasing the speed to medium as you go. Beat for 1-2 minutes until well combined. Spread frosting evenly over top of cooled cake. Let the frosting set for 10 minutes (you can pop the cake into the refrigerator if you are in a hurry), then slice and serve.
And there you have it, the perfect Fall dessert at your fingertips! As for those cookie lovers, try our Brown Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies.