Are you ready for today’s healthy dessert? Perfect buttery topping, with honey-sweetened peaches. This Peach Crisp has an equally delicious topping – made of oats, granulated sugar, a little bit of butter, almonds, flour and Greek yogurt. It will take you around hour and a half to prepare this amazing juicy dessert.
FOR THE PEACH FILLING
- 2 1/2 pounds peaches — about 6-7 medium
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest — from about 1 medium lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Scant 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg — freshly grated if possible
FOR THE CRISP TOPPING
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup raw sliced almonds — you can also use roughly chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- Vanilla or plain nonfat Greek yogurt or vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt — for serving
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9×9-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- To quickly and easily peel the peaches: Bring a very large pot with enough water to cover the peaches to a boil. While the water comes to a boil, prepare an ice bath by placing several generous handfuls of ice cubes in a large bowl and then filling it with cold water. With a small, sharp knife, score the bottom of the peaches with an “X.” Once the water is boiling, with a slotted spoon or tongs to protect your fingers, gently lower half of the peaches into the water. (You want to add the peaches in two batches so that the water temperature does not rapidly drop.) Boil for 1 minute. With the spoon, remove peaches from the water and plunge into the ice bath to stop the cooking. The skins can now be easily slipped off with your fingers. Repeat with remaining peaches. (Every now and then, you’ll get a stubborn peach that still won’t peel and have to use a knife, in which case, my apologies and you deserve an extra serving of the finished peach crisp!)
- Cut the peeled peaches into thick, 3/4-inch wedges (about 8 per peach, depending on the size). Place the wedges in a medium bowl and stir in the honey, flour, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and nutmeg. Set aside while you make the topping.
- Prepare the topping: In a medium saucepan, heat the butter and oil over medium heat, until the butter melts. Whisk in the brown sugar and granulated sugar until blended (The oil and butter will still be a little separate from the sugar, but the sugar should not have any lumps). Once combined, sprinkle in the oats, white whole wheat flour, cinnamon, and salt. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold to combine, stirring until the ingredients are evenly moistened. The mixture will be a little crumbly. Last, stir in the almonds.
- Give the peach filling mixture a few additional stirs, then transfer it to the prepared baking dish, along with any juices that have collected in the bowl. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
- Place the crisp in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, then remove it from the oven and lightly cover it with aluminum foil to protect it from over browning. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the topping is lightly golden and the filling is hot and bubbly.
You should try our Turmeric Milk, a perfect match for this Peach Crisp!