A one-pot wonder for all rice & chicken lovers. It’s a perfect mix and comes out really creamy, while the chicken also turns out extremely flavorful and tender.
This recipe is a must try and you can make it for a family dinner as well! And since it is a one-pot meal recipe, you will also have less dishes to clean up afterwards.
Creamy, delicious, extremely nutritious – a win-win!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 med onion, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, grated or cut into matchsticks
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 2 tsp salt (we used sea salt), divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 bay leaves, optional
- 1 cup dry white wine such as Chardonnay
- 5 cups hot low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups medium grain rice such as Jasmine rice (un-rinsed)
- 1 head garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Using a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot with tight fitting lid, over medium/high heat, add 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 Tbsp unsalted butter. Once butter is melted and hot, stir in diced onion, grated carrots and 1 tsp salt. Sautee until soft and golden (8-10 min).
- Add trimmed, chopped chicken thighs, 2 bay leaves, another 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally until chicken is golden on all sides (5 mins).
- Increase the heat to high and add 1 cup white wine. Boil down the wine, scraping the bottom until most of the wine has evaporated.
- Add the hot chicken broth, then stir in the rice.
- Without separating the cloves (leaving the root end intact), slice the end off a whole head of garlic to expose the garlic cloves. Set the whole head into the center of your rice, sliced side down. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is fully cooked (15 mins).
- Turn off the heat, remove garlic head (you can either push the cloves of garlic out into the rice and eat it or discard it) and quickly stir in remaining 2 Tbsp butter until fully incorporated. Finally, stir in chopped parsley and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. It should be creamy. Serve right away or leave the lid on to keep it warm until serving.
After you’ve completed all 6 steps, you’re ready to garnish it with fresh parsley and than serve it.
If you like this recipe, you can also try our Scalloped Potatoes recipe!