Keto Instant Pot Orange Chicken is a sweet and flavorful dish. This low carb orange chicken is made in instant pot, and with a delicious sauce. Also, it is easy to prep, for just 30 mins. In order to adapt the traditional orange chicken dish to a Keto diet, we need to substitute a few ingredients like:
- Soy Sauce – use coconut aminos or liquid aminos or gluten-free soy or tamari sauce.
- To Thicken the Sauce – use xanthan gum or guar gum instead of cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
- Sugar – use coconut sugar or any dark brown sugar substitute available on the market.
Is Orange Chicken a Chinese Dish?
Orange chicken is very popular in the United States mostly found at North American Chinese restaurants. These chicken pieces coated in a sweet tangy orange sauce are rarely found in Chinese restaurants in China. So, we can tell that this recipe is an American made Chinese dish.
Why Orange Chicken is Good on Keto Diet?
- This meal can be made in less than 30 minutes (5-8 minutes of actual cooking time on instant pot).
- You can meal prep this recipe ahead of time, just make them in batches and enjoy this anytime with a side of salad or cauliflower rice.
- It is freezer friendly.
- It is Gluten-free, whole30, low carb and keto-friendly with only 6g net carbs per serving.
You can serve it with cauliflower rice or any low carb stir-fried veggies. Also, you can enjoy it with a salad or roasted vegetables.
Keto Instant Pot Orange Chicken recipe
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 10 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 30 minutes
- 2 pounds chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos or liquid aminos
- 4 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tbsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp water
- Salt to taste
1. In a bowl, add orange juice, zest, coconut aminos, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and salt. Mix well.
2. Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode and let it heat up for a minute or two.
3. Add olive oil and once hot add ginger and garlic and saute for 1 minute, then add the chicken pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn Instant Pot to off.
4. Add the sauce and scrape off any excess bits of the mixture from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
5. Secure the lid and cook on High Pressure for about 5 minutes.
6. When it has finished cooking, do a quick pressure release.
7. Open the lid and press the Saute mode. Make a slurry with xanthan gum and water and add it to the pot. Let it come to a boil, and stir for about 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken and reaches your desired consistency.
8. Done! Top with sesame seeds or sliced green onion and serve with cauliflower rice.
Don’t forget to Pin this recipe to your Keto Board to save for later.
You might like…