If there is one thing Italians know best is how to cook delicious food! Today we have a healthy meal in the form of stuffed peppers in Italian style.
This healthy dish consists of ground chicken, tomatoes and cheese among other ingredients. It is easy to make as it takes just about 10 minutes of prep time and about 40 minutes of cooking time, or a total of 50 minutes for this tasty dish, ready to be served for 4 people.
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken — or turkey
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes — or up to ½ teaspoon if you like more spicy
- a can of non-salted added diced tomatoes — with juices, 15 ounces
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice — farro, quinoa, cauliflower rice, or orzo (if using orzo, undercook it slightly)
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella — provolone (or a mix)
- ½ cup Parmesan — divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Slice the bell peppers in half from top to bottom. Remove the seeds and membranes then arrange cut side up in the prepared baking dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the chicken, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes. Cook, breaking apart the meat, until the chicken is browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes. Drain off any excess liquid, then pour in the can of diced tomatoes and their juices. Let simmer for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the rice (or farro) and ½ cup of the Mozzarella and ¼ cup of the parmesan. Mound the filling inside of the peppers, then top with the remaining cheeses.
- Pour a bit of water into the pan with the peppers—just enough to barely cover the bottom of the pan. Bake uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes, until the peppers are tender and the cheese is melted. Top with fresh basil. Serve hot.
What a nice and healthy dinner to have, mamma mia!
And if you are into Italian food, make sure to check our Skillet Lasagna with Basil, Italian Sausage, and Butternut Squash, it will not disappoint you!