The Apple Cake with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting is all about the traditional apple cake meeting creamy frosting! Add a pinch of cinnamon and juicy apples and you’ll have the perfect cake for this fall.
They say our favorite comfort food recipes tell a story about some part of our childhood. This cake remind me of cold fall Sunday nights when my mother used to make this perfect cake and serve it with a cup of warm milk.
FOR THE APPLE CAKE:
- 3/4cup walnut halves
- 1 2/3cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4teaspoon ground allspice
- 6tablespoons unsalted butter — at room temperature
- 1/2cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 2large eggs — at room temperature
- 1/4cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt — at room temperature
- 1teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2cups peeled and 1/4-inch-chopped apples — about 2 medium apples—choose a firm, flavorful variety such as Granny Smith, Fuji, McIntosh, or Cortland
FOR THE BROWN SUGAR CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 6ounces reduced-fat cream cheese — at room temperature
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter — at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine almond flour, baking powder, fine sea salt, cinnamon, erythritol, and stevia in a bowl and stir well.
- In a separate larger mixing bowl beat together the eggs, melted butter, vanilla extract, and yoghurt
- Mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Evenly measure out the batter into muffin cups with paper liners, you should be able to get approximately six muffins.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, you can use a toothpick to check if the center of the muffin is cooked if you’re not sure.
For an equally delicious desert try our Strawberry Crisp.