Cheese, vegetables, rice and fantastic crispy topping is what makes this Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe so special. Using Greek yogurt makes this recipe even healthier! You will need a little bit more than an hour to prepare this dish.
- 1(14.5-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2cups instant brown rice — if you use white rice or non-instant rice, the cooking time and amount of liquid needed will differ
- 1pound broccoli florets — chopped into bite-size pieces, about 8 cups
- 4tablespoons butter with Canola Oil — divided
- 1small yellow onion — diced
- 4medium carrots — peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice, about 1/2 pound
- 3/4teaspoon kosher salt — divided
- 3/4teaspoon garlic powder — divided
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper — divided
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2cups milk — I used skim
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese — about 4 ounces
- 1/2cup panko bread crumbs
- 2tablespoons grated Parmesan
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a deep 9-inch-square baking dish or similar 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot, then add the rice. Return to a boil, add the broccoli to the top of the rice (no need to stir it together), then cover, reduce the heat to low, and let cook 5 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and let sit, covered, for an additional 5 minutes. Most of the rice liquid should be absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a dutch oven or other large deep pot over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil. As soon as it melts, add the onion, carrot, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Sauté until the onion is soft and starting to brown, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Grab a whisk and keep it handy. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon or a spatula, until all of the white parts of the flour disappear. Splash the milk into the pot a little at a time, whisking to keep the sauce smooth. Once all the milk is added, stir constantly and cook until thickened, about 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in the Dijon and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Let cool slightly, then stir in the Greek yogurt and cheddar cheese until smooth.
- With a large spoon, scoop the rice and broccoli into the pot with the cheese mixture. Stir to combine the rice and broccoli with the creamy sauce. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it into an even layer.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Butter with Canola Oil. Add the panko and Parmesan and stir to combine. Sprinkle the topping over the casserole. Cover the casserole (with the lid or foil if it doesn’t have an oven-safe lid) and bake for 15 minutes, then uncover and continue baking until hot and bubbly and the panko is toasted, about 15 to 20 additional minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, then serve.
You liked this recipe? Try our: