Shrimp topped with lemon and panko bread crumbs coated in garlic, butter and even more lemon…yummy! That is what our today’s recipe, Baked Shrimp Scampi, is – healthy, lemony, crunchy and so yummy. Yuu will need around 45 minutes to prepare this meal for 6. This light meal is best served warm!
- 2 pounds jumbo (12 to 15 per pound) shrimp — deveined and peeled, tails on or off
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil — divided
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice — divided, plus additional lemon wedges for serving
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt — divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper — divided
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 small shallot — minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs — whole wheat if possible
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a 12- to 14-inch-wide gratin dish or ovenproof skillet, arrange the shrimp in a circle, starting at the outside and working your way in. If you’d like to make the presentation extra fancy, place the shrimp so that the tails overlap slightly and you end up with a pretty spiral (or just spread the shrimp in a single layer and call it a day). Pour any marinade that has collected in the bottom of the bowl over the shrimp.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter in the microwave. Add the garlic, shallot, parsley, oregano, red pepper flakes, egg yolk, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper and stir until combined. Add the panko and stir until evenly moistened.
- Sprinkle the panko mixture evenly over the shrimp. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until hot and bubbly and the shrimp is just barely cooked through. If you like the top browned, position a rack in the upper third position and turn the oven the broil. Place the pan on the rack and let broil until the breadcrumbs are crisp and golden (DO NOT WALK AWAY). This will take less than 1 minute. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
If you like this recipe, you may like our: