Here is a dazzling dinner idea that takes just 15 minutes to prepare. Sausages baked in the oven with potatoes on the side and a little gravy!
Or a lot, depending on your preference of course. After preparing all the necessary ingredients listed below, baked in the oven for about 45 minutes until the sausages get brown, the veggies tender and packed with flavorful gravy.
- 8 – 10 sausages (500-700g / 1-1.4lb)
- Oil spray (optional)
- 700g / 1.4 lb baby potatoes , halved
- 3 carrots , peeled and cut into 2″/5cm pieces
- 2 red onions , each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- just 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp / 30g melted butter, unsalted
- two 1/2 tbsp flour (plain / all purpose)
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef broth (or chicken)
- Fresh thyme , for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F (standard) or 180C/350F (fan / convection).
- Place Vegetable ingredients in a large bowl. Toss well to coat.
- Add sausages and toss briefly.
- Transfer into roasting pan. Pan should be of a size so the vegetables are stacked about 2 deep – see photos and video. Rearrange sausages so they are on top.
- In the same bowl used for the vegetables, add butter and flour. Whisk.
- Add a bit of beef broth and whisk, then whisk in remaining broth. (Don’t worry if you end up with some floating butter bits)
- Pour down the side of the pan (don’t pour over the sausages or veggies).
- Optional: Spray sausages with oil – browns slightly better (especially lean sausages).
- Bake 25 minutes. Turn sausages. Spray again with oil (optional) then bake for a further 25 minutes or until sausages are browned and potatoes are soft.
- Serve Sausages and Vegetables with Gravy on top, garnished with fresh thyme leaves if desired. (See notes for Gravy thickness adjustment)
If you’re into this type of dishes, you will definitely like our Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff.